Metal and asphalt roofing represent two very popular roofing options today. Asphalt roofing was super dominant for a long-long time and it still is, but metal roofs grow into fashion due to their benefits.
If you have to decide on new materials for your roof cover, you must carefully weight different pros and cons, to choose responsibly and avoid regrets. It is also a good idea to seek for the advice of a professional roofer. Sometimes the choice comes down to your own preferences, but some other times one of the two options is clearly better.
- Asphalt shingles are definitely the most affordable option, but their durability and the warranty you will get do not come close to a metal roof (which is expected to last up to 50 years!).
- There is enough variety in both materials to find the colors and textures you like.
- Unlike metal shingles, asphalt shingles allow algae and fungus growth.
- Maintenance is considerably easier in the case of a metal roof.
- Asphalt shingles are easier to install; for a metal roof, you will need a specialist such as CLC Roofing of Southlake.
- Metal roofing is more environmentally friendly. Such a roof is reflective and can also be easily recycled. On the other hand, asphalt shingles represent petroleum-based products, so they unfortunately contribute to increasing dependency on fossil fuels.